Monday, April 02, 2007

Development of project - progress so far






I am now progressing with this project in several ways. Firstly I have now refined and decided on the approach and content. Secondly I have started to refine the script and created mood boards and image researching for the animations. Thirdly I have started to produce the animations exploring the use of various software and ideas.

1. Approach and Content: following on from previous comments I'm going to produce a prototype which shows three options on the spiral narrative structure using scene 4 of 'The Conversation' for 'The Thoughts' as shown in sketchbook. I will design an Interface based on the animations where the screens for 'The Conversation' and 'The Thoughts' are situated and various screens come to life or in view dependent on users choices and options chosen. I've decided on some sort of colour coded slider bar for interaction. So dependent on slider bar position the appropriate animation choice and colours etc will show and play. I'm hoping for a seemless, fluid interaction and visual asethic. The size of the screens and length of the footage/animations will be determined by the Fibbonaci numbers ratio and related to a. Dark, hidden, negative, nightmarish thoughts - 13 seconds. b. In-different, unsure, maybe more real/developed thoughts similar to script for 'The Conversation' - 21 seconds. c. Positive, over the top, larger than life, fantasy, dreamlike, irrational thoughts - 34 seconds. This is to give the idea of how thoughts could grow in different ways and the user/viewer as an option to progress the narrative dependent on choices made so that the thoughts could be dark/twisted, normal rational or dreamlike and fantasist. Also suggesting that thoughts grow in this natural spiral shape and evolve as a person becomes more concious of what they are going to say, but there are still sub-concious thoughts etc and as they keep growing they become maybe more rational or more irrational. So playing with hidden feelings and thoughts and the idea of 'what you say is maybe not what you think'. I will explore this further and refine more. I want to explore syncronising both 'The Conversation' and 'The Thoughts' together so that the interaction effects both.

2. The script is now written and I have produced a couple of mood boards as shown and in sketchbook - creating a feel for the animations. I have started to collect images and ideas as so: a. slutty, ugly, dark, red, envy, vampire kiss/bite etc. b. kiss, dress, question marks, more real feel etc. c. togetherness, love hearts, erotic silohettes, dreamlike fantasy. lips, butterflies etc. I'm also going to play around with motion typography and sound design to add to the atmosphere of the animations.

3. I have explored using various software including: QuickTime, Flash, Fireworks and Motion so that the animations contains some film footage, type, rich colourful animations using a similar technique to 'Rotoshoping' (Waking Life, A Scanner Darkly etc) based on 'Rotoscoping'. I'm exploring how to build the prototype - combination of software etc. however I plan to complete the animations and interfaces over the next two weeks and then get them working in Flash for the interaction and completion.

The visuals for the animations will be a mix of techniques and experimental image making. Creating an extreme from 'The Conversation', a difference. Yet I want to create a style for them and the Interface so there is consistency in look and feel.
I want the content to evolve as thoughts do. Thoughts are about problem solving, thinking, engaging so I want the viewer to engage with the interface and animations in this way. Exploring imagination, a sense of magic. maybe the absurd, irrational, dysfunctional behaviour. Exploring dreams and reality, inner thoughts and make believe. I've read and explored Linklater's and Sabiston's techniques (direction and Rotoshoping) related to the above ideas. Also exploring and watching some Michael Gondry's films including 'The Science of Sleep' as I want to play around with scales, proportions, shapes and surreal, non real imagery. I've found and read a couple of articles in 'Sight and Sound', BFI, August 2006 related to the above.

I've also explored animated narrative structures and will explore and I have read about: Abstract and Interpretive forms which will be what I will use to suggest an imagined world an incoherent thought. The use of illogical, irrational continuities and maybe the audience will make their own interpretations of what they see. Like visions exploring dreamlike individuality. I think it should be challenging. I will also explore: synecdoche, metonymy, metamorphosis, condensation, symbolism and metaphors within the animations visuals and structure. I have read 'Understanding Animation' by Paul Wells, published by 'Routledge' to help me understand the above.

I've also looked at some animations from 'RESFEST 2006' to help me with influences and inspiration including a Nada Surf video 'Blankest Year' by Kristian Davidek and Verena Soltiz which explores the use of silohettes which I found interesting and others to do with layering imagery which is related to maybe layers of thoughts, the darkest being well hidden.

No comments: