Sunday, June 10, 2007

Final Interface Design for the protoype 'The Thoughts'

I have now completed the working prototype for Scene 4 of 'The Thoughts'. I think it is an effective interface and prototype which gets the idea/feel across of this interactive narrative/film/animation. The interface as gone through a couple of versions and I now feel it's got structure and is clear/easy to use and navigate for the viewer/user. I would have liked to be a little more innovative with the interface/navigation and usability. However it is about getting a balance so that the product offers some playful innovation/experience ( using the characters heads as hotspots etc ) and being user freindly/easy to use.

To help with the structure of the interface pages/sections I have used a basic grid system so to add structure and uniformity, so everything looks like it belongs together and is structured. I have a background in Editorial Design, so I'm aware of the use of Grids for print based work. I feel in any graphic design work they are useful and I feel on this project it as helped.

I want to also explore the use of grid systems or concepts within moving image and multi-media, because I think there is potential for some interesting ideas and visual solutions to certain timebased/motion problems. I have been reading a book/theory on this by 'Tanja Diezmann' and 'Tobias Gremmier' titled 'Grids for the Dynamic Image', published by AVA/Academia. Really looking at the potential of using 2D, 3D, 4D grid systems.

I have taken advice from sessions regarding usability, accessibilty and the display of information on screens etc and tried to put into practice on this project, which i think as worked well and highlights my understanding so far.

One area I would like to explore further is the use of sound in Interface Design which i feel as got vast potential especially related to accessibility and the users experience.

Here are the completed Interface Design screen grabs:















No comments: